JCHS would like to clarify recent remarks made pertaining to academic honors for our students. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and accomplishments of all of our students, academic honors for the 23-24 school year have not yet been decided. Below you will find the verbiage contained in our Student Handbook pertaining to when the Valedictorian and Salutatorian will be announced and the specifications for each.
VALEDICTORIAN AND SALUTATORIAN POLICY
1. Student must be enrolled at Johnson County High School for at least the last 4 semesters of his/her high school career. Summer school is considered an extension of the second semester.
2. A Valedictorian and Salutatorian must have met all requirements to receive a state diploma prior to being recognized in graduation ceremonies.
3. Any students recognized as Valedictorian and Salutatorian of JCHS must have completed the required number of HONORS courses, contracted courses, or a combination of the two. Dual Enrollment courses are considered HONORS courses. The required numbers are as follows:
- Class of 2019 and beyond – 14 HONORS courses, contracted courses, or combination
4. Class ranking will be based on the student’s total GPA from grades nine (9) through the end of the 3rd 9 Weeks of 12th grade year. The GPA will be determined by averaging the actual numerical grades received in academic courses (only English, Science, Social Studies, Math, and Foreign Language).
5. Unless a grading scale is provided, grades transferred into the system as a letter grade will be computed as follows: A = 95, B = 85, C = 75, D = 70 and F = below 70.
6. 5 points will be added to all grades when the course is honors, or Dual Enrollment courses.
Based on the criteria above, the student ranked # 1 will be named Valedictorian and the student ranked # 2 will be named Salutatorian.
The above policy has been posted on the JCHS Graduation page at:
Johnson County Middle/High School
Wrightsville, GA 31096
"We Are JOCO! It Takes The Whole Community!"